A new series of short films from Neil Blomkamp will release on Netflix in 2021. The series of short films are directed by Blomkamp and were produced by his independent film studios, Oats Studios, which was started in 2017, to produce experimental short films which will be distributed via Steam and YouTube. Interestingly, this was done to gather feedback to gauge the community’s interest in hopes of expanding them into feature-length films.
The first package of short films from Blomkamp follows in the footsteps of his previous directorial endeavours like Elysium and District 9. Netflix described the series of short films as a mash-up of ‘post-apocalyptic worlds and nightmarish scenarios.’
The trailers and the short films themselves were released in 2017 on YouTube. Therefore, if you do not have a Netflix subscription or would like a sneak peek, you can do so by going on to Oats Studios’ official YouTube page.
See Also: Best Netflix Original Series of All Time
How many will short films premiere on Netflix?
In the first season or volumes of this series, Netflix has decided to include the following series-
- Rakka- Rakka (2017) is the most viewed short film amongst all of these entries. The film stars Sigourney Weaver, who plays Jasper. The story follows Jasper, a woman who is leading the enslaved human race in a battle against their reptilian alien invaders.
- Cooking with Bill- Cooking with a Bill, which premiered in 2017, is an ongoing series of parodies of infomercials starring Bill. A hapless presenter who demonstrates outrageous products every episode, which either malfunctions or maims him.
- Kapture- Kapture stars Gary and Jeff in a parody of popular tech shows like Mythbusters and Top Gear.
- Praetoria- Praetoria premiered in 2017 and is set in a huge Galaxy.
- God: City- God: City is a series of short films in which God and his Butler watch the earth as if it were a movie.
- Zygote- Zygote follows the survivors of a meteor crash at a mining outpost.
- Gdansk- Gdansk is a series that follows medieval Giants.
Other short films such as Firebase, Adam: The Mirror, Bad President, and Lima can be enjoyed on YouTube.
Blomkamp, who is rumored to direct the next film in the sci-fi/horror Alien franchise, is promoting his new film Demonic, which was released in theatres on August 20 is available on video on demand.
The first season of Neil Blomkamp’s Oats Studios will premiere on Netflix on October 1st, 2021.